Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Gradma's Homemade Cough Syrup

Grandma Isaacs had a recipe for homemade cough syrup. I have made it several times but this time I had to substitute one ingredient...... the alcohol. I used what I had plus I cant afford to go to the liquor store right now.  Also her recipe was measured by "glass". So I assume that if a regular glass is 16oz then a half would be 8oz.

  1. Half a glass of Honey
  2. 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
  3. 1 Tablespoon Vinegar 
  4. 3 Sticks of Hard Candy
  5. Half a glass of Brandy 
The first step is to get your hard candy melted. You can put it in with everything else and just let it melt but it could take awhile. I used horehound candy because I like it and its old fashion....lol. I crushed the candy in a Ziploc bag and put it in a makeshift double boiler. 



In a saucepan put all your honey and brown sugar then stir until all is dissolved.



When this is dissolved add the vinegar. 



I had to add this vinegar container because it is just awesome. Plus I prefer white vinegar. 



After everything is dissolved add the hard candy. You will need to stir, stir and stir some more.


The above picture is after the horehound was added and everything was liquefied. Next comes the alcohol. 



I did not have Brandy but I did have some vodka. I substituted and I think it will be fine. Alcohol is alcohol isn't it? 


This is the finished product. When it cools it will thicken up into a nice syrup like you buy in the store. Much better for you I would think. Alcohol is in store bought cough syrup also, so might as well make your own. Plus it may help you sleep. 

1 comment:

  1. lol Every time I start to cough Nanny gives me some of her recipe...that's what we call it. She uses rock and rye though. It works! I have some stored in my cabinets. Good stuff!!!!!

    ReplyDelete